HOH RIVER

FEBRUARY 2017


HALL OF MOSSES

HOH RIVER TRAIL

HOH RIVER

HALL OF MOSSES

The Hoh River Trail is a popular walk through the rain forest in Olympic National Park that goes for 17.4 miles. As I only had a few hours to spend in the area,  I only made it  about two miles up the main trail. However, I also threw in the 0.8-mile Hall of Mosses Loop and 1.2-mile Spruce Nature Trail Loop along the way. I was a little surprised by the number of hikers I saw here in February. I had come in the winter to avoid the large crowds, but apparently the Hoh River Trail is popular enough to stay well-used year-round. 

This area was amazing, though I remember thinking that it probably looks even better in the Spring or Summer when there is even more greenery. I also remember not being as impressed with this trail as I should have been because it was my last stop in Olympic National Park after several previous days hiking the area. After hiking other rain forest trails that ended at waterfalls or beaches, this one was a bit of a let down. It was also the most crowded trail I had hiked on. The two loop trails at the beginning were cool, but I got a little bored on the main trail. There were some side trails leading down to some nice views of the Hoh River, but there were no real destination points. However, I'm sure if I started my trip to Olympic National Park with this hike I would have been blown away. I guess you just get used to the scenery after a few days.